Our attachment to our smartphones is not surprising. We can practically do everything with it. You can use it to browse the web. You can use it to communicate. You can use it for work. You can even use it to make payments!
One thing that we all love about our smartphones is the way it allows us to take beautiful photos. More than ever, it’s easier to take snapshots to preserve everyday memories in our lives.
But just because you’re only using your smartphone, that doesn’t mean you can’t take incredible and artistic photos.
Here are tips that’ll help you take high-quality photos using your smartphone.
Get to know your gear
Gear may be a bit of an exaggeration when talking about smartphones. But if you really understand what your smartphone can do, it really does feel like you’re carrying a bag load of photography gear with you.
Having mentioned that, here are tips that’ll help you take better photos.
- Check your phone’s model. Admittedly, the latest models have the best camera features. If you’ve got an outdated phone, you might have to save up for a new one. Among the smartphones with the best cameras include iPhone13, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Google Pixel 6 Pro, Huawei Mate 40 Pro, and the OnePlus 9 Pro.
- Learn more about your smartphone camera. Take the time to really explore what your phone’s camera can do. Check all the modes and how it focuses under different lighting exposure. If it has manual settings, take a look at it and see what it can do.
- Get better apps. Smartphones are awesome because they allow you to download apps to improve their functionality. Browse through the app store of your smartphone to see what you can find. Look for apps like VSCO Cam, Snapseed, Lightroom, etc.
- Use editing tools. Photo editing tools allow you to enhance the beauty of the photos you’ve taken with your smartphone.
Once you’ve checked all these, it’s just a matter of cleaning your phone and lens. Then you’re ready to start taking shots.
Smartphone photography tips
Once you’re sure that your smartphone is equipped with what it needs to take amazing photos, let’s work on your skills next.
There are a couple of tips that’ll help you capture high-quality shots through your smartphone.
- Take multiple shots. This ensures that you’ll capture the right moment with the right lighting. Just choose the best shot and erase the rest.
- Stick to natural light as much as possible. Smartphones don’t have a lot of features that’ll help them capture the best lighting. The light outdoors is naturally beautiful to help you take the best photos.
- Use High Dynamic Range. This helps adjust light or dark areas so it produces a balanced exposure. This is great for when you’re taking landscape photography.
- Know the rules of taking impressive photos. For instance, the rule of thirds will help you get a more natural photo. Or using a tripod to help stabilise your smartphone when taking photos.